Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Sweet Harmony

O tell me no more of this world's vain store,
The time for such trifles with me now is o'er'
A country I've found where true joys abound,
To dwell I'm determined on that happy ground.

No mortal doth know what Christ will bestow,
What life strength and comfort! go after him, go!
Lo, onward I move, to see Christ above,
None guesses how wondrous my journey will prove.

Great spoils I shall win from death, hell and sin,
'Midst outward afflictions shall feel Christ within;
And still, which is best, I in his dear breast,
As at the beginning, find pardon and rest.

When I am to die, "Receive me," I'll cry,
For Jesus hath loved me, I cannot tell why.
But this I do find, we two are so joined,
He'll not live in glory and leave me behind;

This blessing is mine, through favor divine,
And O, my dear Jesus, the praise shall be thine
In heaven we'll meet in harmony sweet,
And glory to Jesus! we'll then be complete.

5 comments:

R. L. Vaughn said...

Good hymn. The Sacred Harp uses part of the poetry in one of its songs.

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chris Crouse said...

I agree - this hymn is in the Good Old Songs and I learned it while a member at Fredericksburg, they use the GOS. Very beautiful teachings contained therein!

Anonymous said...

This is one of the few instances where I really like the "evolved" version of a hymn much better than the original. Like you, I have enjoyed singing this out of Good Old Songs (Williams Walker's tune doesn't hurt it a bit, either), and found this original version from the Moravian Hymnal, 1742:

O tell me no more of this world’s vain store,
The time for such trifles with me now is o’er;
A country I’ve found where true joys abound,
To dwell I’m determined on that happy ground.

The souls that believe in paradise live,
And me in that number will Jesus receive;
My soul, don’t delay; He calls thee away;
Rise, follow thy Savior, and bless the glad day.

No mortal doth know what He can bestow,
What light, strength, and comfort—go after Him, go;
Lo, onward I move to a city above,
None guesses how wondrous my journey will prove.

Great spoils I shall win from death, hell, and sin,
’Midst outward afflictions shall feel Christ within;
And when I’m to die, “Receive me,” I’ll cry,
For Jesus hath loved me, I cannot tell why:

But this I do find, we two are so joined,
He’ll not in live in glory and leave me behind;
So this is the race I’m running through grace,
Henceforth, till admitted to see my Lord’s face.

And now I’m in care my neighbors may share
These blessings: to seek them will none of you dare?
In bondage, O why, and death will you lie,
When One here assures you free grace is so nigh?


John Gambold
Moravian Hymn Book, 1742.

And Hi Chris! Delighted to find you again here. I knew you at Bethany in S.A.

Terre S.

Chris Crouse said...

Hi Terre, how in the world are you? I remember you very well and a while back was thinking of you and wondering how you're doing.

There were some mighty wonderful times back in those days at those meetings when Bethany and Northside first came together. It was a sweet time that I'll always remember. Some powerful singing and preaching to a full house!

I hope you're well, write often!