Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thanksgiving

"Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. For the LORD is good his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations" (Psalm 100:4-5).

Thanksgiving is my favorite of all holidays, in fact no others come close. The joy that comes from remembering past mercies, past blessings, past deliverance's and Providence's is a source of wonderment to me that the God of heaven would take thought of man and extend His grace to us. It is difficult to have a bitter spirit or complaining heart when focused on how great things the Lord has done for us.

I've always had much to be thankful for. I've never wanted for food, clothing, shelter or a family to care for, love and provide for me. That alone is a great mercy from God that I cherish. I've never wanted for a church home, this is one of the greatest blessings of my life. I've never wanted for kind friends and close supporters to help me through difficult times of life. I've rarely been in any type of want, and the few occasions that I have, my God has provided as His word promises He will.

This week I fly (God permitting) to Texas to see my mother, father, brothers, sister, niece and grandparents to spend this time of thanksgiving. I'm looking forward to seeing my family, but more importantly I'm looking forward to taking an entire day and devote it to the entrance of the courts of God to praise Him, to pass through His gates to give thanks. Obviously this can and should be done each day of our lives, but just as with feasts of the Old Testament, its good to have physical reminders to partake of spiritual blessings by fulfilling our spiritual duties and privileges.

I'm anticipating this day that's approaching because my heart is already full of praise and thanksgiving. I've received all I could ask for, and more. As Isaiah recorded, I have "received of the LORD'S hand double."

I'm thankful for my family, I'm thankful for the kingdom of God and Little Flock Church in particular. I'm thankful for the great host of brethren and sisters who have supported me in good times and in bad. I'm thankful for the seemingly insignificant natural blessings of food and raiment. I'm thankful for redemption in and by Jesus Christ. I'm thankful to be a child of the King.

I'm also VERY thankful for a sweet young lady that has added a new excitement and joy to my life. As some of you know, and maybe others have heard, Lydia and I have begun a new relationship that I am very thankful for, and of course very excited about! {Sorry Lyd for broadcasting it to the whole world ;-).}

So over the past few days and weeks I have entered into the gates and courts of my God with thanksgiving and praise. For His truth, His everlasting mercy that He manifests in so many ways in my life. May God be praised for His wonderful works to the children of men!

1 comment:

Jeremy Sarber said...

I love Thanksgiving too. You said it all very well.