Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Another Year

As most of you know, yesterday was my 27th birthday. And it was a good day. It began with a phone call from my sister (hadn't heard from her in a couple months), then my Dad called. Later I talked to several church members, then Mom, then Grandma ... and you get the point. The day was topped off with a wonderful meal with Brother Paul and Sister Barb Reynolds at Texas Roadhouse. I really enjoy that restaurant, but I enjoy even more the time I'm able to spend with this godly couple. They've become surrogate parents to me that I lean on a lot.

In past years I've hoped to downplay the event, usually with little success. However, as time has marched on I've grown more comfortable with birthdays in general, but I'm growing more uncomfortable with the ushering in of additional numbers to my age.

I realize that 27 is still young, but the thing I find somewhat bothersome is the swiftness that these days, months and years are moving. I am beginning to see small signs of the "aging process" in my body. There are wrinkles beginning to form around my eyes, mostly from smiling (which better from smiling than frowning), every few days I am noticing more and more gray hair coming in (perhaps stress?). My hair is thinning a little, or lot on top. And beyond the superficial things of wrinkles and graying hair is the effects of how I feel. In some ways I am in better shape now than I've been in for nearly 10 years. During my high school years I was fairly active, ate well and was in pretty good shape. After high school I began smoking which killed my immune system, I quit eating well and I adopted the habit of too many cokes.

I quit smoking May 7, 2006 (15 months ago) and have seen a drastic improvement in my immune system. I've started eating far healthier foods, and I've started exercising pretty regularly. All this to say I feel much better. But, yes, there's a but. I notice small aches where they've never been before, I pull muscles easier than I've done before, and I get tired just a bit easier. Now, all this is minor, no major pains, no major fatigue, just little things I am noticing.

And it bothers me just a bit. Why? Because I know that it is a process that is irreversible. The wrinkles will only become more noticeable, the dark brown of my hair is going to continue to give way to gray. The small aches will happen more often with increased pain, etc...

All of these things are just more evidences of a depraved world, and that I am a depraved member of this world. Each time I put on my bifocals, see a gray hair, notice a new wrinkle, wince from a pain in my knees, I am reminded that "sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death." I know that sin is working death in me. And as each year approaches and passes, sin has gained a little more edge and brought me a little closer to its conclusion of my physical demise.

But then I remember that when that moment comes, I will be absent from the body, but present with the Lord, so it is all OK. No wonder in the midst of that verse Paul said, "For we walk by faith, not by sight." As I sit here and wonder of all the events that may transpire between now and my departure, there's no telling if there will be battles with cancer, heart disease, Alzheimer's, strokes, knee replacements, organs failing. Who knows what manner of spiritual battles are also present before me? I do not know. I do not need to know. All we must do is continue in the intervening time to walk not by sight, but faith.

So the years are passing quickly, and more quickly each year. "For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away." While some might find such thoughts depressing, discouraging or even morose, I find them encouraging. Encouraging to use the "little time" for the purposes that my God has placed me here. So I look forward to this, another year, to serve the Lord and His people in a better way than in the year of my life before. I just pray for grace to accomplish that goal!

2 comments:

Dani said...

This is just me today. Think on it this way, as you grow older and with the Lord's grace handle difficulties in the right way, you will grow to be a further encouragement and help to younger members. There are so many older members who have made such a difference in my life over the years, and I can only hope to be half the blessing to others that they were to me.

And if that doesn't make you feel better just remember that Gary just turned 28 and will always be older than us. hahaha!

strem said...

Yes, birthdays have a way of helping a person evaluate, don't they??? I'm feeling myself doing this more and more as my upcoming big day approaches. YIKES! I pray the Lord will bless you in this coming year in completing his purposes for you. Please pray the same for me.