Sunday, October 28, 2007

A Blessed Trip to Bethany

This past Friday, Sister Lydia, Sister Sandy and myself left Illinois for the 8+ hour drive to Atlanta, GA. Several months ago, the pastor of Bethany PBC in Atlanta, Elder Lonnie Mozingo, Jr., asked if I'd come to preach for them during their annual meeting. Also invited were Elder Sonny Pyles and Elder Sam Bryant. I've looked forward to the occasion for several months and was thankful the time had approached. I was also thankful to have two enjoyable companions for travel. Commonly I travel alone which I don't mind, but it is a wonderful blessing to have members of God's house to travel with, to speak of the word of God and our experiences in His kingdom together.

So we left Friday and had a good and uneventful ride to Atlanta. We stopped at the home of Elder Marty Smith for supper and to get dressed for the services that evening.

At 7:30 PM, the singing commenced and what a joy it was. I preached first on the subject of "Practical Holiness Connected to our Anticipation of the Lord's Return." I enjoyed my efforts to preach and felt a good response from the congregation.

Elder Pyles followed me and preached from Nehemiah 4:9 - "Nevertheless we made our prayer unto our God, and set a watch against them day and night, because of them." He made wonderful points that we as the Lord's children must pray, but then must proceed. IOW's, we must recognize what only God can do and pray He will do it, then know what we can do and do it.

I went home that evening with a delightful young couple, Brad & Treisa Hanserd. They've been married about two years and about the time they were married Brother Hanserd began exercising in the ministry. Elder James Allen of Alabama also stayed the night with us, so we stayed up till about 2:30 talking about various Bible topics. It was a very enjoyable evening!

On Saturday morning Elder Bryant preached from 1 Corinthians 15:1-2 - "Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain." He made several good points of pitfalls we avoid, and blessings we receive when we keep in mind the gospel's commands.

Following him, Elder Pyles preached on the life of Abraham. He made several outstanding points that I am still rejoicing in. First, he showed it is possible to believe IN God, without believing what God says. Genesis 15:6 - "And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness." Romans 4:3 - "For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness." Galatians 3:6 - "Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness." James 2:23 - "And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God." In the Genesis account, Moses said Abraham "believed in the LORD", but the three NT accounts said he "believed God." Brother Sonny pointed out that when the NT writers word things a bit differently, they're inspired men and the Holy Ghost is allowed, and the reason He does so is usually for added commentary. Paul & James make the point that there is a difference in simply believing that there is a God, and believing His words.

To further illustrate, Brother Sonny showed that many say they believe in some kind of god, or God Himself, yet deny the Genesis account of the creation, flood, giants, the parting of the Red Sea, the virgin birth, the resurrection of Christ and His second coming. Many we know deny these principles yet say they believe in God.

Brother Sonny then went on to show 4 ways that Abraham believed God, and that by that faith in Him Abraham was able to perform. He also pointed out that faith is not a blind leap, but knowing that while we don't know it all, God does. So while we may be partially in the dark on the details, we're not in the dark about God's knowledge of all things.

On Saturday afternoon I spoke again regarding the second coming, specifically about NT signs give to us to discern the season of His coming. While I do not believe we can know the specific day or hour, we can, by judging those signs tell the season of His coming. To illustrate, the NT says the Lord shall come as a thief in the night - totally a surprise as to when it will happen. It also says He shall come as a woman in travail giving birth. We know about the time a woman will give birth, around 9 months, sometimes early and sometimes late. Likewise, we can tell the "birth pains" around us and know about when our Lord may come.

Elder Bryant then followed me and preached from Proverbs 3:5-6 - "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." His message was very timely about many practical ways in which we, God's people, should be turning to God for guidance and not ourselves, thus He will direct our paths.

After that service we began our trip back to Illinois. After a brief stop at Elder Smith's home to change and reload the car, we took off for the long excursion. I was very thankful to have the help of Sister Sandy and Sister Lydia to drive, converse and allow me good sleeping time. We arrived in Edwardsville about 2:30 Sunday morning, and I headed directly to bed. I was blessed with good sleep on the ride home and once I arrived home. I awoke to the Lord's day refreshed and ready to serve.

When I arrived at our meeting-place, I was delighted to see Elder Harris there. After a very good song service Elder Harris preached on the subject of Heaven. Elder Harris is 82 years old, but still able to preach the gospel and preached the best I've ever heard him. Generally he is brief, but took his time and preached well and blessed my soul. I was glad to hear all the congregation received a wonderful blessing from his message. And I was thankful for a "day off" from preaching, but a good day of worship.

This coming weekend is our Fall Meeting and I am anticipating a good time in the Lord!

10 comments:

lydia said...

I really enjoyed the weekend also. Thanks for letting me tag along! It was such a blessing to enjoy a weekend in worship without having the stress and concerns of life weighing on my mind. I definitely felt refreshed and encouraged this morning.

Instead of having the usual "Monday Morning Blues" that develop after such a good weekend in church, the Lord continued to bless me and provide encouragement. In my Bible reading this morning, I was studying II Thessalonians 1 where Paul was writing to encourage the believers at Thessalonica as they were facing persecution. Paul wrote in verses 7-10: "And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power; When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day."

It was wonderful to be reminded of the sermons we heard this weekend and to once again think on the glorious day when the Lord will come again.

As one of my new favorite hymns says, "O land of rest, for thee I sigh! When will the moment come when I shall lay my armor by and dwell in peace at home? We'll wait till Jesus comes, we'll wait till Jesus comes; We'll wait till Jesus comes, and we'll be gathered home."

Praise God we get to do it all again this weekend! (Minus the many hours in the car;)

Chris Crouse said...

Lyd - Thanks for going, I really was/am thankful that you and Sister Sandy "tagged along." :-) It made the trip much more enjoyable. I love time with the Lord, but I especially love time with the Lord AND His people simultaneously!

Could you post, or email me all the words to that hymn? I've been humming it for two days now! Do you think you could make copies for this weekend?

lydia said...

I have been humming/singing it almost non-stop! Stay tuned for a post about the hymn. ;) Also, I will definitely make some copies for this weekend.

Chris Crouse said...

I'll be looking forward to the post! And thanks for taking care of the copies, I appreciate it!

strem said...

I wouldn't have missed the time with my family.... but it seems like I really missed out on a wonderful weekend with all of you in worship. I cannot wait to hear more of the highlights... and sing that hymn with you sometime soon.

Elizabeth said...

We certainly enjoyed having you all down in Atlanta, and I hope your meeting is Spirit filled and wonderful.
Say hello to brother Steve for me.

Chris Crouse said...

Elizabeth - I'll be sure to say hello for you.

It was good to see you also, and hope the Lord blesses your preparations for college!

Jeremy Sarber said...

I really appreciate the commentary on the meeting. We had our annual meeting at Pilgrim's Rest this past weekend as well. I can't be everywhere at once but I do love to read about the meetings I can't attend. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Dear Chris,

I cannot remember my dratted password. SIGH! Thus,this is published "Anonymously", but tis moi, Cheri Thomas. ;-)

Would that I could have heard Elder Pyles' sermon in its entirety. Reading your comments, a passage of Scripture leapt to my mind:

Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

Pondering,
cheri thomas

Chris Crouse said...

Hi Cherilynn! Sorry I haven't responded sooner, I've been a BUSY BEE lately. Though I know you know all about that in your own life.

The sermon was a great one, and the verses you quoted fit in exactly with the point Sonny was making. It was a blessed sermon that I still find myself thinking about every day, especially when I begin doubting, I remember to BELIEVE GOD.

How are you and Mark doing? I hope you're both well. You should come to Little Flock for our June meeting. The 3 Montgomery brothers are preaching our meeting, we'll make it a homecoming in Illinois!

I saw you also posted a comment about that house. Its still on the market and I've decided to not think about it until after January 1. If it is still there then, I'll consider it again then. But I don't know that I currently have the time or energy for that HUGE undertaking.

Anyway, take care, its GREAT to hear from you.

Love ya!
CC