Tuesday, October 9, 2007

A Lovely Old Home

Over the past few months I've been working toward buying a home. I've been in Edwardsville four years now, renting a home during this time. The market in Edwardsville has been steep since I've been here, especially considering home prices in rural west Texas.

About a year ago I noticed a home in town, a very large home in need of work. It was on the market for a while, then was sold. Last week I noticed it was for sale again. So I went online, found out some about it, and was interested to see it. Today I met the realtor and took a look inside.

The house is HUGE, over 4,000 square feet on three floors, plus a basement. The house sits on over an acre yard in the middle of town (very unusual). I want a large home, and I want a large yard, and I want a small price! Well I may have found my deal, but there's a catch. The house is in horrible shape cosmetically. As in need a total overhaul within. It seems to be sound structurally, a new roof, relatively new siding, new wiring and plumbing. So the bones seem to be good.


Above is obviously a picture of the front, to the left is a shot from the foyer up the main staircase.


I am going to ponder, think and pray about this for a few days yet. I really like the house, I really like the yard - I just have to decide if I really want to invest the next 2-5 years of my life into remodeling a monster house. I enjoy doing that type of work, most of it I can do myself, we'll just see if I have the gusto to make it a reality.

4 comments:

Jeremy Sarber said...

I believe you when you say the house needs work but it looks great from the outside. Very nice.

strem said...

I think I know which one this is, and I have looked at it over and over too. I pray you feel guidance about what to do. Let's talk about this soon!

Dani said...

That is an amazing and beautiful house, I'll be eager to hear what you decide.

Anonymous said...

HOLY COW!

This house is magnificent! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

perfectly GREEN! (heehee!)
cheri thomas