Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Exciting Commute

This morning my commute from home to the office was a little out of the ordinary to say the least. Brother Jerry and I generally carpool as we only work about a mile apart from one another. As we entered St Louis by the MLK (Martin Luther King, Jr) bridge and entered the downtown area, a horn sounded at me. Now, I am usually the one sounding a horn and don't take too kindly to being honked at. But as I hear the horn sounding, I also hear the screeching of tires! I braced for impact and was ready as I could be to have my new car smashed, hopefully not to too many pieces.

What happened, you ask?

Thankfully I was not hit...but just a moment later a car sped by. I thought, "well, he's obviously late to work!" I'm sure I probably thought some other not-so-nice things about him, only to find out my negative thoughts of him were justified.

Why, you ask?

Well, a split second later I hear the sound of sirens, then I see a police car speed by. Then another, then another, then another. I think a total of 4. They were chasing this guy through downtown St Louis on Broadway! I wanted to speed up to find out what was happening!

I dropped Jerry off, then proceeded down to Market (you can look at a map of St Louis if you wish) to see two more police cars speed by, so now we're up to 6...Wow, I thought!

So then I see nothing more and come on into the office. A few minutes later I hear the rest of the story...

This young man (17) had kidnapped a 14 year old girl at knife point and was evading the police. An Amber Alert had been issued and they were chasing the criminal down. They caught him! Now the crook is going up the river to spend time behind bars. I thought while he was speeding through downtown that he should be hung in Keiner Plaza for nearly killing folks...now I think something even worse should occur. Either way, I hope the judge throws the book at him and sends him to the clink!

So, you see, my commute was extraordinary today, and now I figure the rest of the week's drive will be back to the boring hustle and wait of early morning rush (lol, no rushing about it) hour commute.

Thankfully the young girl is OK, all is well except for the young crook, he'll be sorry...I hope.

4 comments:

lydia said...

That's kind of scary. That ought to wake you up! I'm glad that everyone is safe, especially the young girl.

Jeremy Sarber said...

Wow. That's an extraordinary morning to say the least.

strem said...

So glad you are safe and that the situation did not result in a collision. A bunch of us were talking about that situation last night. Little did I know that you were so close to the action.

Chris Crouse said...

Lyd: Actually it wasn't too scary, it all happened too quickly to even think about it. I'm also glad the young girl is safe, and that no one was hurt!

Jeremy: It was pretty exciting, I've never seen a high speed chase before, so I was right where I'd want to be, in the middle of the action!

Strem: Thanks, I'm glad to be safe, also! It's funny to think of how people we know can often be near such an event, we can be talking about it and never know they actually saw it!