Monday, June 11, 2007

A dentist at work in his vocation always looks down in the mouth. - George D. Prentice

Today I went back to the dentist to have that pesky tooth that has caused many painful moments removed. However, when I arrived, I found out the bad news that the Doc was going to pull TWO of 'em instead of one.

Well, the nurse came out and made me sign a release (in addition to the regular one) stating that I release them to release my teeth, and release them from any worries or concerns of lawsuits if the releasing of the tooth/teeth wasn't releasing of the pain.

So, the Doc got immediately to work. First, he swabbed this gel in the area that numbed me pretty good, then he gave me about 13,000 shots and after which I felt better and better. Then the best of all, he thought it best to use laughing gas. Well, I wasn't laughing, but it was a surreal experience.

I've never been "gassed" before, and the feeling it gave was very peaceful, but also very strange. I felt the "movement" from my head, until finally even it seemed my feet were numb. I was a bit light-headed, and I was seeing a few stars. I asked to go to sleep, and he said, "you can try."

Well, about a moment later, I saw the pliers. And I saw them enter my mouth. I felt them wrap around tooth #1. Then, I felt pressure, not pain. He started cranking those things and you could hear bone crushing, feel blood squirting, and then the nurse quickly vacuumed it all out with that suction thingy which is SO VERY COOL.

Then came #2, and the process began again - but I didn't care, I was feeling GOOD.

Then he started sewing it all up, and I could feel a tug here and there and I bet I have more thread in me now than 300 count sheets.

Then the most dreaded part. You see, I've not been faithful to go to the dentist, so he has some work to do. $4,534 to be exact. Would have been over $8,000, but thankfully I have a good discount from the good Doc. Now I know why Miguel de Cervantes wrote, "Every tooth in a man's head is more valuable than a diamond."

I will have a "bridge to nowhere" in my mouth, a couple or three root canals, and a couple more extractions. Sounds like they will mine the mountain for gold, then build a bridge across it. All at this taxpayers expense, and that's no pork barrel spending neither.

I told the good Doc that if he requests me every six months for checkups, I'll be there every three. My teeth are my new best friend, they will be the most expensive part of my body when this is over.

He says in three months time, about 5-6 more visits, I'll be as good as new. I asked, "Am I your worse case ever?" He responded, "Oh no, not even close." I felt a little better, then the nurse handed me the bill.

So, we'll see how the woes of the next few weeks go, I think it'll all be OK. Thankfully, I am yet in any pain, but thank the good Lord for Ibuprofen!

1 comment:

lydia said...

I'm so glad to year the extraction went well. That laughing gas is pretty good stuff...it sounds like it was still affecting you when you wrote this. ;) We'll continue to pray that the pain is tolerable and the future dental work goes just as well.