Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Nashville

This past Saturday, Grandma and I headed off for Nashville, Tennessee. Elder Ronald Lawrence, pastor at Bethel Church had asked if I would preach in his absence while he was away in North Carolina. Bethel Church is a wonderful church, and since it had been almost a year since I've missed a Sunday at Little Flock, I agreed to do so.

On our way down Saturday, we passed this sign in Kentucky. So you understand the relevance, my Great-Grandmother's last name is Mayfield. She was excited to see this sign pointing the way to Mayfield, Kentucky.


We arrived at Brother Truman and Sister Barbara Stubblefield's home around 3:00 Saturday, and had a refreshing time of rest and visitation before supper. The Stubblefield's had invited about 20-25 over for supper, ice cream and time for fellowship. It was such a blessing to be with the folks. Here a couple shots:

Here is Brother Eddie Huff and his wife Sister Betty. Brother Huff is the man who built my pulpit that I use here at Little Flock. To see it, please attend our annual meeting starting this Friday.

The young man in the back, with his back to the camera is Brother Tim Lawrence, Brother Ronald's second oldest son, and next to him is Sister Shannon Sanford. The lady standing is Sister Shannon's grandmother, and I can't remember her name! (Shame on me, I know.)

Here, with his back to the camera is Brother Mark Lawrence, Brother Ronald's youngest son, next to him is Sister Velda. To the left of Velda is Sister Sherri Malone and her husband Brother Mike Malone. Brother Mike is a very interesting Brother. He sells real estate and helped Bethel find their new property and is helping a great deal on their building project. I was thankful to glean some of his wisdom to put in practice for our own project here. Next to Brother Mike is Sister Barbara Stubblefield, our gracious host!

Here is my good buddy, Brother Truman Stubblefield, also known as "Stubby." He is a wonderful deacon, and great to help any in need. Each time I've been with him and Sister Barbara I've had a wonderful time. To the left, in the white shirt is Brother Mark Lawrence, and in the dark shirt is Brother Todd Sanford. Brother Todd takes care of all recording at Bethel. He and his wife and two sons, Braden and Cole are wonderful saints.

The fellowship broke up around 9:00, and I was quite ready for bed! I stayed up and visited with Brother and Sister Stubblefield for a while, then we hit the hay.

On Sunday morning, we went to services at Bethel and had a wonderful time in the Lord. I felt exceptional liberty to preach Sunday morning and was thankful for a very attentive and appreciative congregation.

We then went to the basement for lunch and had a delicious meal prepared by the members. Immediately following, Sister Velda, Grandma and I headed for Dickson, TN to visit Sister Edgie Burton in the nursing home. Sister Edgie is Velda's mother. My Grandmother and Sister Edgie were blessed with a closeness over the past few years, and it was sweet to see them "greet one another with an holy kiss." We visited for about an hour and then headed back to the Stubblefield's for a little rest.

Later that evening we went back to the church-house for the evening service. I was exhausted, but tried my best to preach and either did well, or had a very good congregation who enjoyed it despite myself. I think it was just a really good congregation!

After services, about 25 of us went to Rafferty's for supper and had a wonderful time. I was able to spend most of it playing with all the children while the adults ate and visited. The children are always such fun!

We then headed for bed, as Sister Velda, Grandma and I were going to leave early Monday morning for St. Louis. On Monday morning, Brother Ronald (having arrived home late Sunday night) came to the Stubblefield's for breakfast, and he and I had a good time of fellowship. I always enjoy being with Brother Ronald, and love to hear his counsel. The Lord has blessed him with a rich mind, and much wisdom.

We got on the road a little after 9 and had an uneventful trip. I wasn't feeling well due to a toothache, so I tried to be still and quiet. We arrived at Brother Paul and Sister Barb's house around 2:30 and Sister Barb had lunch ready for us. We had a pleasant visit, then Grandma and I headed back home.

It was a wonderful weekend that I'll not soon forget. I enjoyed the services at Bethel, but the fellowship we had Saturday & Sunday evening was some of the best I've ever experienced. I am thankful to our Lord for His providence, His gracious hand in providing such a blessing to me, though I deserve it not.

No comments: