Saturday, September 1, 2007

Have a Heart

Recently, due to new dental bills and the new blessing of a car, I realized that it was time to find work to supplement my income as a pastor. So, I applied with Adecco, The Employment People! I've worked with them before, in San Antonio. They're a temp-to-hire company that I've enjoyed working for before.

I had two assignments this week, one with GE Supra, the real estate division of GE, the second with Philips Medical.

My duties for Philips were extremely interesting. I was a model (I know, laugh hard there) for doctors, nurses and technicians. For what you may ask? Well, they were testing new software for their echocardiogram machines. IOW's, they were doing ultrasounds of my heart.

The real interesting part, the new software allows you to see the ultrasound in 3D. This has been available for a while for expectant mothers, allowing them to see 3D images of their children before they're born. However, to get a picture of the heart, they need images of the interior, not just the exterior as with a baby. Well, they've accomplished this.

So, I was watching my heart in 3D on a 27 inch flat screen panel, and it was the most amazing thing I have ever seen!


Here is the traditional 2D image of a heart, which they did also and was interesting too. But the 3D is this image, in color of the entire heart. They could see it from any angle from the exterior, then could take any portion of the exterior away and look at the interior of the heart. So I saw the blood flow, valves, etc... of my heart from the inside! IT WAS COOL!

Watching the show, I could imagine how helpful this technology will be for medical teams to hopefully see a problem without having first to explore with a camera and other invasive methods. Obviously, seeing the problem is only one part, they still have to do something about it. However, I got a clean bill of health, stating that my heart looks to be in excellent shape.

I am constantly amazed at the inventions of men, but above all thankful to God for giving man the ability to do these things. I just wish that all men everywhere would give Him the thanks He deserves for these and other blessings.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That is definately pretty cool!

Dani said...

weird!

Chris Crouse said...

Elizabeth: I thought it was!

Dani: Weird, eh? It was a bit weird, but pretty awesome at the same time. I don't think I'll forget the experience anytime soon. And the pay wasn't bad either!

strem said...

Interesting. (Your temp jobs sound fascinating compared to my assignments a few years ago!)

Sandy-san said...

Very, very interesting! I am very happy that you are getting some interesting job assignments, too!

Sandy-san