Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. - Lou Erickson

In years past, I've always enjoyed gardening. I've enjoyed flowers, vegetables, keeping a nice lawn in every aspect. In the last few years since I've been in Edwardsville, my yard has been lacking its pristine nature they had back in Texas. For some reason I've not had the motivation to do much more than maintain the yard.


This year I decided to put in a garden, mainly to give Grandma something to do. She enjoys working in the garden.

So, last Monday we planted the seed (the ground had been previously cultivated by Bro. Jerry and myself) and started the process of waiting.

When I arrived home on Saturday from Nashville, the green beans (pinto beans picked early are our green beans) were coming up. Now most everything has broken ground.

The garden is 24'x24', relatively small, but large enough for us. We've planted:

Cucumbers
Okra
Green Beans
Squash (two types)
Zuccini (two types)
Eggplant
Tomatoes (two types)
Bell Peppers
Cantaloupe

The pesky squirrels and birds have been nipping at the tender plants, so Grandma has been our scarecrow. Each day she sits outside under the patio umbrella, and she slaps her book when a critter comes, and some (says she) have the audacity to just look at her till she has to get up and chase them off.










In addition to the larger plowed area, I also had a couple flower beds tilled for vegetables. One length is 9'x2', the other 12'x2'. This is where the tomatoes and bell peppers are planted. On the left side of the sidewalk are several hostas, and a couple squash plants have been planted in between the hostas.


Here is a shot of the whole garden:












(Don't mind the junk, my patio is the staging area for whatever is going on, and left over clutter is a norm. I am hoping to have it all cleared and ready for relaxing soon!)


"Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it." - Author Unknown

"Gardening is about enjoying the smell of things growing in the soil, getting dirty without feeling guilty, and generally taking the time to soak up a little peace and serenity." - Lindley Karstens


3 comments:

strem said...

First of all, the quotes crack me up...especially the top one because it is SOOOO true! Secondly, it's good to see the patio furniture out. (Good sign that summer is here.) Thirdly, I can see Grandma carrying out that entire routine with the squirrels - staring at each other in a showdown. Very funny. I'm so happy you're already receiving good results with your garden and can't wait to see the huge harvest!

oldbaptistadam said...

Hey, I am impressed. You have a far better green thumb that I do. Maybe I should mooch from your garden. :)

Chris Crouse said...

Sister Strem - I thought of you while I was reading those quotes, and figured you'd get the good mental image of Grandma battling the varmints. As for the harvest, you don't just have to see it, you can EAT IT too!

Brother Elder Green - you can mooch all you like, you just have to drive to get it. Though the local farmers market would be much cheaper than the $3+ per gallon for petro!