Saturday, May 5, 2007

A Very Blessed Meeting

On Thursday morning, after a short visit to the hospital to see the Zimmerman family, I headed for Nashville for Bethel's annual meeting. I enjoyed a nice, relaxing drive, full of meditation and listening to sermons and hymns.

I arrived at Brother Lawrence's home at 4 in the afternoon, and shortly after Elder Guy Hunt, his wife and another couple (I feel horrible that I cannot remember their names) arrived at Brother Ronald's also. We had a good visit, then all departed for Elder John Tidwell's home. He and Sister Tidwell were hosting supper for about a dozen and a half people, the food was delicious, the fellowship refreshing. I had the blessing of visiting most of the time with Brother Stokes Lawrence, Elder Ronald Lawrence's father. He and I hit it off very well and I have a great amount of respect for this dear saint who has served the Lord faithfully for many years.

We then assembled at Bethel Church for evening services. The song service was a joy, and then Elder Lonnie Mozingo, Jr. preached, followed by Elder Guy Hunt.

Brother Lonnie preached from Matthew 3 and defended the doctrine of baptism by immersion, and the Scriptural intent of baptism. He preached a very able, very instructive discourse that was a wonderful blessing.

Elder Hunt followed and preached from 1 Samuel 17, "Is there not a cause?" He spoke about our need for diligence in the cause of the Lord Jesus. That we are not wandering aimlessly, but the Lord has purpose, and for this cause we're to sacrifice and serve the Lord with all we are and have.

I then went home with Brother Truman and Sister Barbara Stubblefield, a couple that I love very dearly. I've stayed in their home several times and have always enjoyed being with them. Elder Ben Winslett of Huntsville, AL also stayed with them and he and I were blessed to become somewhat acquainted. In fact we stayed up until 2:00 in the morning! I was/am very impressed with Brother Winslett and look forward to hearing him preach and spending many years in service together with him.

On Friday morning Elder Michael Green preached first on the subject of the miracles of God. First he showed several miracles from the Bible, but then how those specific miracles ceased, but that God still blesses us each, and our own life (when we're born again) is a miracle testifying that God is still at work in the world. I enjoyed his discourse very much.

Elder Hunt followed him and preached on "We are His Workmanship." Brother Hunt preached a very calm, soothing message that fed my soul. His message pointed that our lives, from election before time, to the cross, to regeneration to glorification are a testimony of the workmanship of God. He showed how wonderful the craftsmanship is in every aspect of His work, and thus we should be careful in our walk, to give our best effort to show what the Lord has made us, instead of following the lusts of our flesh.

Following lunch, I enjoyed some time of fellowship with the ministry, first at the church, then we moved to Brother Ronald's home. It was a nice, relaxing afternoon with good counsel from fine brethren. We spoke of both doctrinal and practical issues and enjoyed a refreshing time of unity.

We traveled back to Bethel for the evening services. Elder Michael Green preached first on "rightly dividing the word of truth" and then proceeded to teach the 3 words of the Bible - the Word - Christ, the written word - the Bible, and the preached word. It was a very good discourse!

Elder Mozingo followed and preached how we can overcome all obstacles of life "through Christ who strengtheneth me." It was a very practical message with wonderful illustrations and pointed statements of truth that left us all encouraged and ready to face the world!

Elder and Sister Lawrence then invited all to their home for fellowship after the Friday evening service. I am not sure how many gathered, I think about 40 or so. We ate, visited and sang till about midnight. I had as much fun that night as I've had in quite some time. It was good to have several conversations with old friends, rekindling relationships and enjoying the fellowship of fine brethren.

I went to the Stubblefield's home and crashed about 12:30, then on Saturday morning drove to Sister Velda Stubblefield's. We then drove to Dixon, TN to see her mother, Sister Edgie. Sister Edgie is in her mid 90's and living in a nursing home. Sister Velda and I had a pleasant visit on the way to and from Dixon, and then it was wonderful to see Sister Edgie again. She had lived here in St Louis with James & Velda for a time, and it was such a blessing to have her with us each week. I really miss her, and Brother James who passed away last month.

I left Sister Velda about 2 in the afternoon, then had another pleasant drive home, mostly on the phone catching up with various friends and family. I arrived home about 6:30 and had a very enjoyable evening preparing for services Sunday at Little Flock.

The Lord blessed with such a wonderful weekend, a time I greatly enjoyed and will not soon forget.

I highly recommend traveling to Bethel Church, they are a wonderful group of the Lord's saints.

6 comments:

lydia said...

I'm glad you had a safe and blessed trip to Bethel. The sermons sound like great ones...very encouraging and good doctrinal reminders. I thought there were pictures?

[P.S. I'm glad you're blogging again. ;)]

Chris Crouse said...

Hey Sister Lydia - there will be pics soon. Last night I couldn't get onto my network (the place I had stored the photos so they could be accessed by more than one pc) and I simply forgot to add them today. I'll try to get them into the post tonight.

I'm glad to be back blogging. I've been thumbing through a VERY OLD hymnal and have some good ones to post soon.

See you tonight!

R. L. Vaughn said...

Sounds like it was a good meeting. Was Bro. Horner there? I heard they went to Tennessee, but didn't here where.

Do you remember Elder Green's points on miracles ceasing? The Southern Baptist bloggers are having a lot of conversation on that issue right now, and it seems that many of them don't believe that. Anyway, just thought he might have made some good points to consider.

Chris Crouse said...

Brother Vaughn - his main focus was the miracle of preaching, and the only reference to the completion of apostolic miracles was:

1 Cor 13:8 "Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away."

He did say that if some of these miracle workers could bring someone back from the dead, then he'd believe they were authentic instead of fakes!

strem said...

So glad to hear on the weekend. I had been wondering how your trip had gone, and it has been a blessing to hear of the sermons. In fact, I've been studying on some of these topics this week based on the points you posted. I pray the spirit-filled weekend will remain with you for weeks to come!

Alex Horton said...

1 Cor. 13 8 was taken out of context. It is merely saying there are times when those things will fail for various reasons but you can never go wrong with love.

As far as the dead being raised, I have never heard of it happening but I am confident there are times throughout the past 1900 years when it has happened.