Tuesday, May 1, 2007

A New Blessing in the Form of a New Car

Over the past few months I've learned that my SUV (a 2000 Ford Explorer) was going on the blink. It had an engine problem that was estimated at $2,000-4,000 to repair. Well, the poor old thing has 175,000 miles on it, it is 7 years old and I couldn't justify spending that much money on such a car. However, I was content with the vehicle and enjoyed driving it very much. But, I was getting rather nervous taking it on trips, and being a minister, I do travel quite a bit.

My former car gave me trouble in January '06, I had it repaired, the problem reappeared in October '06, I had it repaired. It reappeared in March '07, I had it repaired, the problem reared its ugly head last week, I had it repaired and the same day the problem came back. The problem, a cracked valve of sorts that I don't know, but the symptom was blown spark plugs. They were lasting about 10 months, then 6 months, then 2 months, then 1 day. Well, it cost about $25 each time I had it replaced, which was fine for a bi-annual repair, or even bi-monthly, but not daily!

So I was trying to decide what to do. Either fix this car, deal with the problem a while longer, or begin looking at new vehicles. I've already said I was content, and truly I was. Until Sunday night when I went looking at new cars. It happened. New car fever. Careful, it is contagious. After I purchased my new one yesterday, I drove to Brother Paul and Sister Barb's house to show them, and suddenly Barb (who before was content with her car) wanted a new car! :-)

So I looked and looked, then went online for quotes, and had a man call from a Cadillac dealership in St Louis yesterday morning. So I went over, thinking I'd test drive several, not really thinking I'd come home with a new (or new to me) car.

THE RESULT:


A 2007 Chevrolet Impala. This one is slightly used with 22,000 miles on it. I had the choice of white, charcoal gray and black. My Explorer was white, so I was a little tired of white. The Impala I saw on Sunday was the charcoal gray and I thought I'd buy it - but when I saw the black, I just liked it, A LOT! I know, I know, it will be hard to keep clean, but it is pretty!

I am thankful that the Lord provided, and now as I depart for Nashville for Bethel's meeting, I won't have to worry about the engine conking out on the drive down, I trust!

3 comments:

oldbaptistadam said...

Chris, I am sure glad you have some reliable transportation now! That is good news indeed. congratulations!!!

Anonymous said...

Chris,

Nice new car, congrats! You are surely correct about it being a challenge to keep it clean. My car is a deep dark green, and it needs a weekly wash. You might try asking at a local car wash for a volume discount....there is one near us that gave me a substantial discount when I bought carwashes for a year in a package deal. Again, congratulations!

strem said...

ECC, sorry for the delay in writing (on some of these posts) and reading (on yet others.) Hopefully, I'll get caught up now.

Just wanted to say that I'm still getting used to recognizing you in this little sporty car. But, I sure like it!