Wednesday, May 30, 2007

'Given to Hospitality'

One of the traits of the Old Baptists that I am most fond of, is their kindness to guests.

Growing up in the south, and in a rural community, I was taught the value of kindness to those in need. We were well acquainted with our neighbors, we knew their hardships and tried (though poor ourselves) to step in and relieve their want. Perhaps hospitality is a trademark of America in general, but we took it very seriously where I grew up.

One of the qualifications for a gospel minister is to be 'given to hospitality' (1 Timothy 3:2), literally to be "fond of guests." Not only is this benchmark given to the ministry, but saints in general:

"Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality" (Romans 12:13).
"Use hospitality one to another without grudging" (1 Peter 4:9).

As I am getting ready for a trip this weekend to Nashville, I was phoned by those I am staying with to let me know the details of the weekend. I was pleasantly surprised to learn of a large gathering on Saturday evening with many friends at the Stubblefield home, for a time of fellowship. I was thankful to hear of this, as I love to visit the saints there, and I am most appreciative of Brother Truman and Sister Barbara for their graciousness to host so many.

Little Flock is gearing up for our annual meeting, and I always look forward to hosting folks in our church, but also in my home. I get as excited as a child in a candy store knowing folks are coming to see us, surely we don't deserve their effort!
Many in our nation, and I suppose that the world at large have mostly lost the desire and joy of 'lodging strangers.' What a joy they miss in this great blessing of opening our homes and lives to those who are strangers, or traveling through. This past weekend I had the blessing of entertaining the Lindsey family from Arkansas as they traveled to their family reunion in Indiana. What a sweet time it was.

I hope with all I am that the Primitive Baptist people will always have hospitality as one of their hallmarks. May we always have a fondness for guests, and treat them as though they were at home while abroad.

"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares" (Hebrews 13:2).

2 comments:

Dani said...

I did not realize that you were back, but I am very happy to see you! :)

I love when my family keeps churchy folk. My best and earliest memories of church were of sitting in my grandparents floor with a host of preachers and deacons and stuff and them talking scripture and telling stories from their childhood, always with a good moral.

Tonight started our weekend meeting, and my grandparents are keeping three couples. I can't wait till we have the chance to start keeping folk in our home.

I had never thought about how odd it must seem to others that we keep people that we don't actually know (even though it seems like we do, after all they know our God). The church members down in Florida are opening their doors to all family and friends and churchy folk that want to come to the wedding, and of course all the PBs I know are cool with that, and some family members who were raised PB are ok with it, but lots of non-PBs find it weird and would rather pay for a hotel room. I can't imagine doing that myself.

Anyway, sorry for the long ramble thoughts, you just got me thinking a bit about a blessing I admit I often take forgranted.

Chris Crouse said...

Ramble all you like, Dani - I enjoyed reading your memories! Keep up the tradition of kindness in your home, the Lord will greatly bless.