Monday, May 7, 2007

One Year and Counting

On May 7, 2006, after 8 years of smoking on average of at least 2 packs a day, I smoked my last cigarette.

The journey hasn't been easy, but each new day I am thankful for the blessing of God to continue with the decision to quit. There are times that I still have a strong desire to smoke, but they are fewer and farther between. Thankfully now the smell of tobacco gives me a raging headache.

I have gained about 40 pounds, but each pound needed. I had lost about that much and now am at a perfect weight.

I was blessed to be able to just quit. No medications, no gum, no patches. I just decided to quit using tobacco. Each day I continue the same therapy of convincing myself I am healthier and wealthier when I do not smoke! :-)

The Lord has been good, my finances better, and I am certain that years have been added to my life. I pray for the continued strength to continue to abstain from the use of tobacco.

To those who may smoke, or engage in some other unhealthy habit - pray for grace and strength to overcome, find a strong desire to end it, and then continually make the choice to end that which destroys the life the Lord has given you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you smoked. I quit smoking after five years and then started again for a year and quit again when I found out I was pregnant. Let me tell ya that the cravings never go away but you do get better at fighting them. Don't be too hard on yourself if you give in and have one. Just see how long you can go inbetween and you'll be amazed when you realize that's it has been weeks. I have no intentions of starting again after the baby is born but it's going to be hard. Pray for me and I'll pray for you. I'm very proud of you!

Jessica

Chris Crouse said...

Hey Jessi! Thanks for coming on over to the 'ol blog. You ought to start one for you and John to keep friends and family updated with the chillin' and other such things in your life. I'd love to read it daily!

I started smoking the summer after high school, and smoked, and smoked and smoked. Oh man, just writing about it I want one! :-) But I won't give in. Actually it hasn't been all that bad really, most days I don't think about it, but when I do, I DO!

Talk to you soon, great to hear from you - miss you a LOT.

strem said...

AMEN! So many of us here are proud of you too. Sorry that I failed to remember the anniversary. Each spring, I remember the anniversary for my dad, and we are so thankful it has been many, many years since that burden has left. I hope you celebrate just as many - and then some!